Corps Painting - Property of RAEME HofCblue bells Corps Badge

heading reading 'histories, diaries and othe resources'

The History of RAEME in South Australia
until 1965

Maj A.N. MacLeod

Major "Norm" MacLeod, RAEME was a South Australian who served for many years in his home State. This History was organised by him and written while he was DADEME Central Command and the Senior RAEME Representative in South Australia

It is reproduced here without editing except that the Indexes have been extended and amended where necessary

Table of Contents Links
PART1 – Paras 1 to 7 Introduction PART2 – Paras 8 to 48Corps Background prior to 1939 PART3 – Paras 49 to 153 The War Years, 1939 to 1945 PART4 – Paras 154 to 159 1946 to 1948 PART6 – Paras 266 to 268 Conclusion INDEX OF UNITS INDEX OF PERSONNEL
 
 
 
 

1948 ONWARDS

[Begin Part5]

General

160. From 1948 onwards many Citizen Military Forces units were formed or reformed and Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers began to expand. The following information is given in chronological order as far as possible.

14 Light Aid Detachment Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers / 13 Field Regiment Light Aid Detachment UI

161. 14 Light Aid Detachment Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers was reformed in July 1948 with Warrant Officer Class 1 (later Lieutenant) S.F. Shipp as Officer Commanding. Recruiting did not commence until September 1949 when private recruit A.L. LeLue was posted to the Light Aid Detachment. Later, on 21 Jan 1950, Lieutenant Shipp marched two corporals and seven craftsmen into Woodside Camp to support 13 Field Regiment Royal Australian Artillery. The camp was completed on 3 February 1950.

162 12 February 1951 was the beginning of another camp of continuous training, but this time Lieutenant Shipp had two sergeants, three corporals and four craftsmen. The Light Aid Detachment supported the Regiment and returned to Adelaide on 23 February 1951. A Routine Order dated 17 September 1951 changed 14 Light Aid Detachment Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to 13th Field Regiment Royal Australian Artillery Light Aid Detachment and on 7 February 1952 the strength of the Light Aid Detachment was increased to twenty-four, when ten craftsmen were transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME. On 1 December 1952 a further ten craftsmen were transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME and the strength of the Light Aid Detachment was increased to one officer and thirty-two other ranks.

163. Camps were held subsequently at Caloote and Murray Bridge and on 11 February 1954 Lieutenant G.L. Bryant was transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME and appointed Officer Commanding the Light Aid Detachment. This appointment was followed by the transfer of Lieutenant Shipp to 107 Infantry Workshop on 26 March 1954.

164. On 24 April 1954 Lieutenant Bryant commenced a camp of continuous training at Murray Bridge with 23 other ranks. Lieutenant Bryant was transferred to 2 Royal Australian Artillery Workshops RAEME, Southern Command on 25 August 1954 and was replaced by Lieutenant N.M. Stewart who was transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop; however, this transfer did not take place until 17 May 1955. During 1955, National Service trainees were added to the strength of the Light Aid Detachment. Lieutenant Stewart remained with the Light Aid Detachment until January 1958 and later transferred to the permanent forces. He was replaced as Officer Commanding the Light Aid Detachment by Lieutenant D. Tremethick on 21 October 1957 and he remained with the unit until December 1959.

165. In 1960, although some RAEME personnel remained with 13 Field Regiment, they were not under the command of a RAEME officer. Warrant Officer Class 1 W. Gorman was attached to the Light Aid Detachment for the duration of the 1960 camp of continuous training.

166. During the training camp 1961, Corporal Kovacs assisted by Regular Army RAEME tradesmen, supported 13 Field Regiment. Corporal Kovacs was transferred temporarily from 107 Infantry Workshop for this purpose.

167. 13 Field Regiment Royal Australian Artillery LAD was reformed on 2 September 1962 with Lieutenant B.J. Coulter as Officer Commanding. The LAD was re-formed at Kilkenny and did not move to Keswick until 30 November 1962. The strength at that time was six. Lieutenant Coulter had raised the strength to 11 and with that number he supported 13 Field Regiment during the 1963 camp at El Alamein. During this camp the Light Aid Detachment carried the distinction of being the first Citizen Military Forces RAEME unit to be supplied with spare parts by air drop. Two Regular Army armament artificers from the Command Workshop assisted the Light Aid Detachment armament fitters for the duration of the camp. On 1 January 1964 Lieutenant Coulter was transferred to Central Command Workshop Detachment and replaced by Lieutenant G.H. King, who was transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME and is the present Officer Commanding.

Central Command Workshop RAEME UI

168. Early in 1948, the Central Command Workshop was commanded by Captain M. Sanders, then later in that year Captain H. Henderson was appointed Officer Commanding. He was followed in the next year by Major G. Mills. In 1952 Major A. Ottasoff, who returned from Japan, became Officer Commanding.

169. Central Command Workshop, which was built in 1939, had until 1948 contained offices for the headquarters of the workshop. After this date the headquarters occupied a small building which was situated across the road from the workshop. This was previously used by the Small Arms section, which had been moved into the workshop for ease of control.

170. It was proposed in 1949 to introduce Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Service Stations into the Army for the purpose of carrying out servicing to Army vehicles. When the Mumzone factory of Payneham Road St Peters was bought, for Department of Army, it was decided to modify the small workshop, which was situated across Payneham Road opposite the factory, into a service station. In 1953 the new Army Service Station began operating with Warrant Officer G. Juggins M.B.E. in charge. Later Corporal W. Dick took over for a short term and then Warrant Officer J. Yates, who had returned from Japan, remained. with the service station until 1960. When the new Light Workshop was completed at Keswick the service station was transferred to this new building. 1 Royal South Australian Regiment took over the service station when it was vacated by the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

171. Trade Repair Control, which formed part of the establishment of Central Command Headquarters, was transferred to Central Command Workshop in April 1954. This Section, which had been located in the Deputy Assistant Director of Electrical and Mechanical Engineer's office, moved to Central Command Workshop Headquarters. It is interesting to note that in 1950 £11,400 was spent on the repair of Army vehicles and equipment, and in 1964 about £78,500 was spent by Central Command Workshop.

172. RAEME tradesmen, mainly from Central Command Workshop RAEME were attached to Commonwealth Forces in Japan and Korea. The first South Australian officer to be sent was Lieutenant A.N. MacLeod, who was posted to Britcom Base Workshop in Kure, Japan, in March 1952, and subsequently to 16 Britcom Infantry Workshop REME in Korea.

173. Other South Australian members were

Most of these soldiers served in Japan, in Britcom Base Wksp. Here vehicles and equipments were reconditioned and in many cases rebuilt. As an example, well over 1000 Jeeps were completely rebuilt. The major unit assemblies were reconditioned at Kure and the vehicles were stripped to components and rebuilt at Hiro. In Korea, RAEME were mainly with 16 Britcom Infantry Workshop, although some were attached to other units, eg 1, 2 and 3 Battalions.

174. In 1954 approval was given for the provision of 19 temporary positions for various designations to be added to the establishment of Central Command Workshop. The Workshop at this time had a strength of 122 all ranks, which included 6 Royal Australian Ordnance Corps personnel who formed the Stores Section, which was attached to the Workshop. This same year, a large recovery task was carried out by the Command Workshop. A Centurion tank, which weighed about 5O tons, was to be transported from Emu Plains in Central Australia to Whyalla, a distance of approximately 550 miles The recovery was carried out in two parts, the first task was to recover the tank to Woomera, a distance of 400 miles. This task was completed in two weeks by Warrant Officer J. Yates, Corporal B. Dittmar and Driver R. Jones in December 1953. The final stage of transporting the tank to Whyalla was carried out by Staff Sergeant S. Phillips, Craftsmen Jones, Curnow and Thompson using a 40-ton and 20-ton transporter and an Allis Chambers tractor. The recovery was carried out in extremely hot weather and twenty-four tyres had to be replaced during the journey. The tank was finally loaded at the bulk loading wharf at Whyalla in March 1954, where it was shipped to Melbourne. At this stage Major G. Mills was posted to the Workshop as Officer Commanding and Major Ottasoff was transferred to Southern Command Workshop.

175. In October 1955 South Australian Mid-North agricultural areas were attacked by hordes of grasshoppers. The Department of Agriculture asked for assistance from the Army to supply four-wheel drive vehicles equipped with sprays to kill the grasshoppers. Central Command Workshop modified several Trucks 4 ton Jeeps with exhaust sprays, which were used under the direction of the Department of Agriculture. These vehicles with Army drivers did a magnificent job in saving large areas from being eaten bare of vegetation by these pests.

176. Major G. Johnson took over the command of the workshop in July 1955 and at this stage there were 78 regular soldiers and 20 civilian members, In January 1957 the Army was called to give assistance to civil authorities to repair damage which was caused by the River Murray flooding. The Royal Army Engineers[sic] had been working on the construction of levee banks at Mannum when one of their 3 ton vehicles became bogged. The levee bank collapsed under the pressure of rising waters and the vehicle was practically submerged. A call was made to Central Command Workshop to recover the vehicle. Major G. Johnson, Warrant Officers G. Robinson and D.Duck, Staff Sergeant S. Phillips, Craftsman R. Varney with skin-diving equipment, Private Jones, recovery driver, a four-ton recovery vehicle and two amphibians made up the recovery team.

177. After a difficult recovery exercise, which was watched by a large number of local residents, the vehicle was finally attached to the recovery vehicle in readiness to be towed to Keswick.

178. On 22 March 1958 Central Command Workshop was almost completely destroyed by fire. The City fire appliances and firemen were hampered by low water pressure and the fire soon gained a firm hold on the building, which had a large area of wooden flooring. Most of the valuable machine tools, vehicles and equipment which were in the workshop were either damaged or destroyed by the fire. A black cat, which was a workshop pet, was badly burnt when her home under the workshop floor became too hot to be comfortable. But the animal was coaxed back to life, after using most of its attributed nine lives in the process. Because of the fire the Workshop was dispersed into several areas which contained various Workshop sections. Fort Largs, now the South Australian Police Academy, became the Workshop headquarters and several temporary buildings were erected at Largs Bay to accommodate the general engineering sections. Trade Repair Section was situated in the Keswick Area at the rear of 2 Line of Communication Provost Company building, and the vehicle section was transferred to the Service Station at St Peters and at Largs Bay.

179. A new Light Workshop was erected in Keswick Barracks, facing Anzac Highway which was completed in 1961. The Service Station, Trade Repair Section and Headquarters from Fort Largs moved into the new Workshop in June 1961. The Workshop strength had been reduced to 42 soldiers and 26 civilians, due to a re-organisation of the Army which finally reduced the strength to a total of 52 personnel in 1962. In 1961 the Deputy Assistant Director of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and the Officer Commanding Central Command Workshop became one appointment. Major A.N. MacLeod took over the dual appointment in August 1961 9 when Major G. Johnson became Officer Commanding 101 Infantry Workshop.

180. Warrant Officer Class 1 B.A. Tuckwell was selected to join the Military Technical Training School at Bankok, Thailand. He was seconded to the Department of External Affairs under South-East Asia Treaty Organisation agreement and he sailed on 15 January 1962, duly arriving at Bangkok on 31 January. After a two-year posting, he returned to Central Command on 23 February 1964, where he was posted as Artificer Vehicle with Equipment Inspection Section.

181. Early in 1963 Mr Donald Campbell from the United Kingdom selected Lake Eyre in South Australia as a suitable site for his attempt on the world land speed record in his car, Bluebird.

182. On 13 April 1963 he, together with his team of assistants, arrived at Muloorina Station near Lake Eyre, where he set up his headquarters. The car, BLUEBIRD, was moved to Lake Eyre on 24 April 1963 for the attempt on the land speed record.

183. A team of RAEME tradesmen, comprising W01 C.H. Ferne, Cfn R.A. Etheridge and Cfn Kennedy, moved from Keswick on 18 Apr 1963 with the following vehicles;

  • 21 ton Coles Crane
  • 4 ton Recovery vehicle
  • A workshop garage loading vehicle
  • One Landrover and trailer.

184. Their task was to maintain the fleet of Landrovers used by the SA Police Forces who assisted in the project, and to help Mr Campbell whenever possible

185. It was found that the 21 ton Coles Crane was too heavy for travelling on the salt crust covering the Lake, therefore a further 4 ton Recovery vehicle was sent from Keswick.

186. These Recovery vehicles were stationed one at each end of the prepared track during all speed trials; their task was recovery of BLUEBIRD if required. When the Recovery vehicles were driven on to the Lake dual front wheels were fitted.

187. Rain delayed the speed attempt and after the Lake became flooded the attempt was temporarily suspended. Inspector Brebner, who was also Captain CMF OC Central Command Provost Company, feared for the loss of Army equipment which was still on the Lake when it became flooded with water up to 18 inches deep, and requested that Major A.N. MacLeod be sent to Lake Eyre to assist with recovery.

188. The SA Police at Lake Eyre, together with the RAEME members, combined in this recovery operation, and all Army equipment, together with the Bluebird project equipment, was recovered to the bank of the Lake. As it was feared that the vehicles used for the recovery might break through the salt crust on the Lake, they were moved out in extended line, loaded, and returned to shore in the same manner.

189. A track was cut along the bank of the Lake, Bluebird was loaded on to a timber jinker whose prime mover was a "no goer", and the whole was towed by a 4 ton Recovery Vehicle to higher ground.

190. During the move to Mulloorina a small grader and a small front end loader moved ahead of the complete convoy of vehicles; their task was to grade the rough portions of the track and fill in pot-holes. As Bluebird was balanced precariously on the jinker, it was feared that a jolt could cause it to fall off. As the track was mostly covered with water, it was practically impossible to gauge where holes were. WO Ferne is to be congratulated for his handling of the 4 ton Recovery Vehicle and its load during this hazardous trip.

191. Major MacLeod sent a section of men ahead of the convoy to build a ford over the river between the convoy and Mulloorina. It was virtually a race between the convoy arriving at the ford and the floodwaters arriving there. The convoy eventually arrived safely at Mulloorina with only one hour to spare before the ford became flooded.

192. Mr Campbell returned to Lake Eyre on 10 June 1964 with his team of assistants, but found that the prepared surface of the Lake was now useless. A new track was prepared, on which Bluebird finally attained a speed of 403 mph on 17 July 1964, and thus the world land speed record. At the time the RAEME team comprised WO1 B. Dittmar, Cfn R.A. Etheridge, Cfn K.W. Sims, Cfn J.L. Goater, and Cfn V. McNamara. They eventually wound up the RAEME side of the project and returned to Adelaide on 7 August 1964.

193. Mr Campbell spoke very highly of the efficient manner in which the RAEME team carried out their task, and further stated that they proved invaluable with their assistance, particularly with recovery.

194. It is proposed to build a new workshop at Warradale in 1965, at an estimated cost of £195,000; for Central Command Workshop. This workshop will bring the Command Workshop personnel together for the first time since the original workshop at Keswick was destroyed by fire. A change of command took place in November 1964, when Major K.A. Gibson took over the dual role of DADEME and OC Workshop from Major A.N. MacLeod. He has since been replaced by Major W.A. Woolston q.s. .

Headquarters Central Command UI

195. A CMF position of ADEME formed part of the establishment of Headquarters Central Command. This position was filled by Lieutenant Colonel J.J. Edwards, DOS, MC, ED. His CMF assistant was Staff Captain R.T. Mattison, MBE.

196. A small headquarters was formed in the DADEME ARA office and it was decided by that headquarters to group all CMF units at 107 Infantry Workshops Depot, Kilkenny. This was to enable all CMF RAEME units to be trained technically. Equipments were to be drawn and kept in instructional cages. OC/CO parent units objected to this and required their RAEME units to be with them, therefore the idea was short-lived.

197. Lieutenant Colonel Edwards was eventually transferred to CSTU and Captain Mattison became OC 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME.

198. From 1 Dec 1942, DADEME Central Command were:-

Maj L.B. Cunningham 1 Dec 42 28 Jul 44
Maj G.H. Machin 28 Jul 44 8 Mar 45
Maj W.B. Blown 9 Mar 45 28 Nov 45
Maj M.R. Doig 28 Nov 45 24 Apr 46
Maj S. E. Reeve 26 Feb 46 7 May 47
Capt M.H. Sanders 7 May 47 27 Oct 48
Capt H.H. Henderson 27 Oct 48 24 Mar 49
Maj G.R. Mills 24 Mar 49 26 Nov 53
Maj G.S. Allen 2 Feb 54 4 Sep 56
Maj G. C. Magenis 29 Aug 56 5 Sep 61
Maj A.N. MacLeod 23 Aug 61 22 Nov 64
Maj K.A. Gibson 23 Nov 64 ———

8 Transport Company (General Transport ) Workshop RAEME UI

199. 8 Company Royal Australian Army Service Corps was formed in November 1948, — at the same time as a workshop platoon Royal Australian Army Service Corps. This platoon operated until early 1952 when it became a Light Aid Detachment, Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and the first Officer Commanding was Lieutenant A.R. Britcher.

200. On 2 July 1953 Lieutenant Britcher transferred to the Reserve of Officers and until February 1964 the Light Aid Detachment was without an Officer Commanding. He returned to active duty with the unit on 25 February 1954 and served as Officer Commanding until 1 July 1955, when he again transferred to the Reserve of Officers.

201. Warrant Officer Class 2 E.J. Tremethick was then transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop to take command of the unit until 6 August 1956; when Lieutenant R.D. McColl took over command of the unit in a camp at El Alamein and served with it until 26 August 1957. For the camp period of 1957 the parent unit and the Light Aid Detachment were divided between two camps, one half of which went into camp under command of provisional Lieutenant J. Stock. Lieutenant Stock became Officer Commanding the unit after Lieutenant R.D. McColl, but left after a short period. Again the Light Aid detachment was without an Officer Commanding, and for the camp period of 1958 Warrant Officer Class 2 E.J. Tremethick administered command, then for the camp period 1959 Warrant Officer Class 2 B.R. Sayers of 107 Infantry Workshop administered command.

202. During the period 5 November 1959 to 8 November 1961, the Light Aid Detachment was under command of Lieutenant L. Lambert, and late in 1960 the Light Aid Detachment moved from its parent unit location at Hampstead to the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Training Depot at Kilkenny. The next Officer Commanding was Temporary Captain G.D. Mead, from 8 November 1961 to 28 June 1962.

203. The Light Aid Detachment as it then existed was disbanded, its location was shifted to Port Lincoln, then the unit was reformed as a workshop. The first Officer Commanding was Lieutenant G. Shaw, who remained with the unit until he joined the Australian Regular Army 1 March 1963. From that date Warrant Officer Class 1 B. Dittmar administered command of the Light Aid Detachment until 14 March 1963, when Lieutenant H.J. Hayter became the Officer Commanding of the Light Aid Detachment.

Army Guided Weapons Trials Unit UI

204. In 1948 a small Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers group of vehicle mechanics and fitters and turners under Captain A.A. Crago were operating a small workshop at Woomera. Three Telecommunication mechanics were attached to this workshop, but they, worked separately from it, mainly at Salisbury. Then in 1949 Composite workshops were formed, and Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineer tradesmen were allocated to these workshops according to their trades. Vehicle mechanics were operating in a Motor Transport Workshop which was commanded by Captain Gerth (Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers). The vehicle mechanics were made up from Royal Australian Navy, Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and civilian tradesmen. The engineering workshop was set up under Lieutenant Fogarty (Royal Australian Navy) to which the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers engineering trades were attached, together with Royal Australian Navy and Royal Australian Air Force personnel.

205. An electronics group was raised under Lieutenant Commander G. Neale RAN. This comprised Royal Australian Navy, Royal Australian Air Force and Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers personnel. Two radar mechanics under Warrant Officer Class 2 G. Webber worked mainly on the Bombing Range for ballistic tests, maintaining Radar Anti-Aircraft No 3 Mark 7 and Plotting Tables.

206. In 1950 a Missile Range at Range G at Woomera was commenced and the establishment was similar to that of the previous year, excepting that the percentage of civilian workers in the workshop was increased. One radar mechanic, Corporal A. Beck, maintained the Radars at the Missile Range and the other mechanic serviced those at the Ballistic Range.

207. 1951 saw gradual thinning out of Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers personnel at Woomera. Captain Trevor came to the Vehicle Workshop with Warrant Officer Class 2 C. Chamberlain and Warrant Officer Class 2 Barney Bentley, who was later replaced by Warrant Officer Class 2 Mick Proud. An interesting fact of Bentley's service to Supply was that after years of service with Department of Supply at Woomera he served with the Ministry of Supply (United Kingdom) as a maintenance artificer for Atomic Bomb Testing at Emu Plains (X200) for which services he received the MBE. Warrant Officer Class 2 George Millward replaced Warrant Officer Class 2 Webber on the Ballistic Range and was himself replaced in 1954 by Warrant Officer Class 2 George Trotter. The establishment was increased to Captain, Warrant Officer Class 1 and 8 radar mechanics, and the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers vehicle mechanics and fitters were replaced by civilian Department of Supply tradesmen.

208. In 1959 the Instrument Section was taken over by Warrant Officer Class 2 Bob Slocum from Warrant Officer Bruce Robinson and a complete base repair was carried out on Askania theodolites for the first time on the Range. An optical tracker which was used for general acquisition of targets and missiles was manufactured by Warrant Officer Slocum and Craftsman[sic] Ron Matthews at the Range. Warrant Officer Slocum carried out the duties of a Launch Officer for six months and worked on such missiles as Malkara, Bloodhound, Thunderbird, Long Tom, Skylark, and Sea Slug. Sergeant Colin Waller, an electrical fitter, has won two Mail newspaper medals for fairest and best Australian Rules Football player during his four years at Woomera.

209. In 1962 three Hark 9 Radars (Stingray or Type 83) were added to the equipments to be maintained by the Radar Troop.

210. The present equipments, which are maintained by the establishment of one officer and fifteen other ranks, include three Mark 7 and three Mark 9 Radars, four Make 7H Stations and Acoustic ranging equipment. This latter equipment is a device used in missile recovery vehicles for showing a cartesian reference on a map grid in the travelling vehicle. At the time of writing, the Officer Commanding the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers detachment of the Army Guided Weapons Trials Unit (AGWTU) is Captain K. Beatty.

Proof and Experimental Establishment - Pt Wakefield UI

211. In 1948 Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers attached to P & E E were one Artificer Gun and. one Artificer Radar. The Artificer Gun, W01 (later Captain) W.J. Gorman, was assisted by a civilian chief examiner and two senior examiners in maintaining Naval, Air Force and Army armament. W01 John Newton (later Lieutenant) was assisted by a civil senior supervisor, Mr Vin Tolson, in the repair of Radar and Telecommunication Control Equipment.

212. There was little alteration to the establishment until 1961, when it was increased by one Artificer Radar, one Vehicle Mechanic and a Technical Storeman to control the receipt and issue of technical equipment.

213. In 1962, the Artificer Gun had two new equipments to maintain, the 105mm M2A2 and the 105mm American 81mm Mortar and Pack Howitzer which were used in the proving of ammunition fuzes and the equipment itself. One of the 105mm was totally destroyed in 1963 during the proof of cartridge when a round burst in the barrel. There was a similar occurrence in 1964, when a 105 mm was extensively damaged during proving of ammunition:

214. W01 Bill Gorman was the senior RAEME Artificer Gun from October 1941 to August 1954. He was followed by W02 Ted Sharpe, W01 Bob Reynolds, and W01 Ron Ambrose. Artificer Radar W02 John Newton was replaced by W01 Harry Hopper and now W01 George Millward is serving in that appointment. Both Hopper and Newton have been awarded MBEs for their services during their appointments with Proof and Experimental Establishment.

4 Base Ordnance Depot UI

215. Group1 4 BOD was situated at Penfield from 1946 to 1961. A timber and iron workshop measuring 60 ft by 30 ft was used by RAEME attached to 4 BOD and was located near the centre of the Vehicle Park. A wooden vehicle ramp was positioned adjacent to this workshop. A vehicle servicing building, similar to the workshop, with a dirt floor and very little technical servicing equipment, was used to service six hundred and twelve vehicles.

216. Lieutenant Oakes, later Captain Oakes, was posted to the Electrical Mechanical Engineer appointment in May 1959 when 4 BOD took over two RAAF hangars at Mallala. These buildings were ideally situated for the storage of vehicles, but the distance of about twenty miles from Penfield and thirty-four miles from Keswick was a disadvantage when inspections were required to be carried out.

217. In October 1961 establishments were reviewed and in June 1962 the establishment of the RAEME attached to 4 BOD was reduced to:-

Captain Electrical Mechanical Engineer
Warrant Officer Artificer Vehicle
Sergeant Vehicle Mechanic
Corporal Vehicle Mechanic
Craftsman Vehicle Mechanic
Staff Sergeant Artificer Gun
Corporal Fitter Small Arms.

218. A start was made to transfer the Vehicle Park from Penfield to Warradale in October 1960 and the move was completed in April 1961. All major machines and technical items were replaced with new equipment, which was installed in the Tyre Repair Shop, Service Station, Battery Room and the Equipment Cleaning Room at Warradale. All wheeled vehicles for 1961 Annual Citizen Military Forces Camp were issued from Penfield and returned to Warradale.

219. The Warradale Workshop is approximately of the same size as the one at Penfield and is adjacent to the Service Station with a servicing ramp for carrying out technical inspections. A separate office for the senior non-commissioned officer is included and the whole arrangement is an improvement on Penfield.

220, In December 1960 a fitter small arms was posted to RAEME attached to 4 BOD. A repair section for the Armourer of four hundred square feet was converted from the old 4 BOD Waggon Sheds at Keswick which, though unsatisfactory, was the only available space at that time. The section was moved to Shed 8 at Keswick in February 1961 where small arms were stored. This building was suitable for work after minor alterations had been carried out. RAEME completed the modification of the Treatment and Packaging Section of 4 BOD in March 1961 by installing degreasing, derusting and water displacement tanks with additional heated tanks for various treatment procedures.

221. A new office with a floor area of two hundred square feet was built for the Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and occupied in April 1964.

222. During 1960–62 new arms and equipments were issued to units this called for extensive work during this period, as inspection classification to revised repair limits at Returned Stores Depot were applied.

223. The current establishment of the RAEME attached to 4 BOD is-.

Establishment 1964
Lieutenant Electrical Mechanical Engineer
Staff Sergeant Artificer Gun
Sergeant Vehicle Mechanic
Corporal Vehicle Mechanic
Corporal Fitter and Turner.

107 Infantry Workshop RAEME UI

224. The unit was raised at Keswick Barracks on 1 May 1948 with a cadre staff of Captain V.A. Mostyn, Lieutenant J. Treloar, W01 Claxton, W02 G. Robinson and Cpl W. Tasker. The Officer Commanding was Major E.H. Colley, MBE.

225. Initially the unit had offices and Quartermaster Store accommodation in the Signals Training Depot (now Women's Services Training Depot) Keswick Barracks. Vehicle Storage was in the rear part of the RAASC Supply Depot, now the site of the Sergeants' Mess. Later, the offices were moved to huts adjacent to the Medical Training Depot (now 2 Line of Communication Provost) and at the end of the 13 Field Regiment Depot.

226. In 1951 the unit was relocated at the Southwark Training Depot in Cawthorne Street, Southwark. A garage and vehicle ramp were installed to increase accommodation and facilities. This Depot also accommodated 4 Royal Australian Army Postal Corps and 9 Infantry Brigade Light Aid Detachment. A large portion of this depot was burnt out in December 1954 and the unit was moved to Kilkenny Training Depot, Jane Street Kilkenny, in 1956 after its vacation by 3 Field Squadron Royal Australian Engineers.

227. Although giving much more space than previous locations, this depot proved inadequate, as it also accommodated 13 Fd Regt LAD, 8 Transport Company Workshop, 3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles Light Aid Detachment, 107 Ordnance Stores Section and, for a period, 9 Medium Workshop RAEME.

228. At the present time 107 Inf Wksp RAEME is the sole occupier of the Depot — the LADs having returned to parent units, 8 Tpt Coy to Port Lincoln, 107 Inf Wksp Stores Sec is at Somerton Training Depot, and 9 Med Wksp disbanded.

229. The first camps were held at Woodside where the Workshop vehicles were sited in and around the Camp Workshop building. In 1950 the Annual Camp was held at Elderslie Farm, an Army Remount Depot located on the Nairne Road. In succeeding years Annual Camps were held at Caloote, Murray Bridge and Hampstead Barracks.

230. When El Alamein Camp at Port Augusta was established, the unit held its camps in El Alamein. From 1961 onwards the unit has been located in the Cultana Training Area for Annual Camps.

231. Until the re-organisation to the Pentropic Division, the unit operated in support of Headquarters Central Command Group, and in so doing attended the first of the two Annual Camps. It is of interest to note that the Armourer Tradesmen were at this period detached to 9 Inf Bde LAD for Armourer Support and Training, with the three infantry battalions of 9 Inf Bde at the second annual camp.

232. When National Service Training was in operation, the Workshop was at full strength. The Unit was able to concentrate on technical training and at the end of National Service Training the Workshop was in a better position to carry out its role than at any other time in its history. Initial drafts of trainees were selected for transfer to units by district of abode, with no thought of selecting tradesmen. This situation was rectified by a selection team visiting 16 National Service Battalion at the start of each intake and from then on the Unit received a balanced intake of tradesmen, It is interesting to note that some of the keenest members of the Unit, both officers and non-commissioned officers, joined 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME via National Service draft.

233. Possibly the most outstanding unit activity was the combination of a Heavy Equipment Recovery Course with the digging of swimming pools for the towns of Eudunda and Oakbank. Practical experience was gained and much social activity enjoyed, as well as good-will established. In the charity field, the Unit held firework displays and picture evenings for orphan children in conjunction with RAEME birthday; this was at Kilkenny Depot.

234. One of the most outstanding personalities of the unit was W02 "Donald" Duck, Australian Regular Army Company Sergeant Major, who was with the Unit at Southwark. He was 6 foot 4 inches of solid muscle: judo expert, ex-Commando, soldier of fortune, and his feats of strength, coupled with his ever-ready help for all members, ensured a lasting memory in the history of this Unit.

235. The Unit attended Annual Camp in February/March 1964 at the Cultana Training Area. Strength at Workshop site was 52 all ranks with a further 26 personnel detached to the Recruit Training Wing. Activities were normal workshop role in day time, with night training and patrolling.

236. The 24-year-old Workshop vehicles have finally disappeared from the Unit and it is understood that they are to be replaced with lightweight vehicles and equipment. One Truck 4 ton Automotive repair and trailer is at present with the Unit.

237. Officers Commanding 107 Infantry Workshop were.-

Maj E.H. Colley, MBE 1. 5.48 14.10.54
Capt (T/Maj ) L.C. Campbell, MBE 24. 1.55 11.12.56
Capt (T/Maj )C.G.C.Flecker 11.12.56 12. 9.57
Capt (T/Maj ) L.C. Campbell, MBE 12. 9.57 22.12.58
Capt (T/Maj ) J.E.D. Drury 22.12.58 30. 6.60
Capt (T/Maj ) A.N. Manders 30. 6.60 21. 5.62
Maj K.J. Rodda 21. 5.62 22. 2.64
Capt (T/Maj ) R.T. Mattison, MBE 22. 2.64 ——

3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles Light Aid Detachment UI

238. Capt L. Campbell was the original Officer Commanding 31 Light Aid Detachment when it was raised in September 1948. The parent unit was 3 Reconnaissance Regiment equipped with Staghound scout cars. The Light Aid Detachment vehicles consisted of Blitz workshop vehicles, Jeeps 4 ton, two Diamond 'T' recovery vehicles, and a 40 ton Diamond 'T' tank transporter. The Detachment was the first of the Light Aid Detachments in Central Command to accompany its parent unit during Annual Citizen Military Force camp at Woodside in 1949. The Annual Camp of 1950 was held at Rabilla, which is situated about 7 miles East of Murray Bridge. Unit tradesmen brought their private tool kits to 1949-1950 camps because there were insufficient Army tools issued.

239[sic]. In June 1949 the parent unit changed its role and was named 3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles, but it was not until 1951 that the Detachment took the parent unit's name and became 3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles Light Aid Detachment.

240. During this year, the annual camp was held on the site of the old Remount Farm at Elderslie, where the present married quarters at Woodside Camp are situated, and named Inverbrackie. 1952 and 1953 camps were held at Caloote and Port Wakefield respectively and the following year El Alamein area near Port Augusta. This was to be the future area for annual camps. In 1954, 3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles with the Light Aid Detachment and a detachment from Royal Australian Army Service Corps, were the first units to train in the new area at El Alamein. The camp was located about two miles East of the present location of El Alamein. During the camps of 1955-56 the LAD constructed and maintained mobile targets for 37 mm anti-tank weapons. Capt L.C. Campbell was appointed Officer Commanding 107 Infantry Workshop and Lieutenant Shipp became Officer Commanding the LAD.

241. In 1957 the parent unit changed its role to Anti-Tank and was issued with 6 Pounder weapons. Prior to the 1960 Annual Camp the role was again changed to an Armoured Replacement Group and the unit continued to use Staghound armoured cars and in addition, Ferret Mk 1 and 2 scout cars.

242. In 1959 the LAD was disbanded and two Australian Regular Army RAEME tradesmen were attached to the parent unit. A composite Detachment and Recovery Section was formed from 107 Infantry Workshop personnel, to accompany 3/9 during 1960 Annual Camp. This was the last camp when the heavy Kenworth recovery vehicle was used before being sold through disposal sales.

243. The LAD was reformed in 1960 and located at Kilkenny with 107 Infantry Workshop. Lieutenant R. Mattison was appointed Officer Commanding. The parent unit was equipped with 120 mm Battalion Anti-Tank weapons and 17 Pounder equipments.

244. Lieutenant B. Sayers was posted as Officer Commanding in 1961 and he remained with the Detachment until 1963. During this time the unit was relocated with 3/9 SAMR at Unley. The parent unit's armament was again changed, and the 106 mm Recoil-less Rifle mounted on 4 ton Landrover became the main unit weapon.

245. Captain P. Hoare was appointed Officer Commanding the Detachment in 1963 and is still serving at the time of this writing.

24 Light Aid Detachment (Headquarters 9 Brigade Light Aid Detachment) UI

246. This unit was formed from elements of 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME in 1948, the first Officer Commanding being Lieutenant A.N. MacLeod, later to become DADEME Central Command. He attended the camps at Woodside and Clare in 1950 and 1951.

247. After Lieutenant MacLeod transferred to the ARA in 1951, Lieutenant John Stock became Officer Commanding and whilst he was absent, Warrant Officer Class 2 J. Conn administered command of the unit.

248. Lieutenant D.K. Tremethick commanded the unit from 24 March 1954 to 21 October 1957; Lieutenant N.M. Stewart from 21 October 1957 to 10 August 1959, and Lieutenant (later Major) R. Mattinson from 10 August 1959 until the Light Aid Detachment was disbanded under the new reorganisation on 1 July 1960.

Headquarters Central Command Equipment Inspection Section UI

249. Previous to 1951, when the Equipment Inspection Section was raised in Central Command, unit inspections were carried out by the Equipment Inspection Section from Southern Command. Temporary Captain A.M. McDonough was posted to Equipment Inspection Section in March 1951 while he was still serving in Japan. In November 1951 the Equipment Inspection Section, which occupied an office in Central Command Workshop Headquarters, consisted of Captain McDonough, Warrant Officer Class 2 R. Reynolds, Craftsman W.G. Dick and Mr L. Burton. Later, the Officer Commanding the Section became the Command Inspector and occupied the Deputy Assistant Director of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers office at Central Command Headquarters.

250. Later, the Section moved to three small offices behind the building now occupied by 2 Line of Communication Provost Company, where they remained until 1960. The strength of the Section had by then been increased to:

Captain Command Inspector
Warrant Officer Class 2 Artificer Vehicle
Warrant Officer Class 2 Circuit Armourer
Warrant Officer Class 2 Artificer Gun
Corporal Vehicle Mechanic
Civilian Clerk  

251. Captain R.M. Webber was appointed Officer Commanding when Captain A.M. McDonough was transferred to 4 Base Ordnance Depot in May 1956.

252, On the completion of the new workshop and service station at Keswick Barracks in June 1961, the Inspection Section occupied portion of Planning and Control Office in the new building. There was a reduction in the establishment of the Inspection Section to;

  • Command Inspector,
  • Artificer Gun,
  • Artificer Vehicle,
  • Fitter and
  • Turner, who replaced the Circuit Armourer, and,
  • a civilian clerk.

The following officers were posted to Equipment Inspection Section from 1959 to 1964 Lieutenant C.V. Claxton, Lieutenant H. Jankovkis, Lieutenant G.A. Robinson and Captain A.M. McDonough.

253. The Equipment Inspection Section carry out inspections of technical equipment for units which are located in the metropolitan and country areas, as far distant as Renmark, Port Lincoln and Mount Gambier. Visits of inspection are made annually to 8 Army Engineers at Broken Hill and to units of Northern Territory Command, Darwin.

104 Transport Platoon RAASC UI

254. 104 Transport Platoon RAASC was formed at Hampstead Barrack from 4 Military District Transport Platoon RAASC when it was disbanded in 1947. The establishment of 104 Transport Platoon included one attached RAEME vehicle mechanic. In 1948, before a mechanic was posted to the unit, Sergeant M. Freeman and Craftsman F.McEntee were detached from Central Command Workshop to carry out unit repairs to wheeled vehicles. Craftsman M. Curnow was the first Vehicle Mechanic to become attached to the unit, and he remained there from 1951 to 1953. Craftsman R. Bach was attached for two years and Corporal Curnow returned for a three-year posting until 1958. Corporal P.C. Smith was transferred to Hampstead and remained with the unit until 1960. The last vehicle mechanic to be with the unit, until the attachment was discontinued, was Corporal R. Thompson, who was there from 1960 to 1961.

5 Central Ammunition Depot UI

255. 5 Central Ammunition Depot, Gladstone have one RAEME vehicle mechanic attached to the unit, to carry out unit repairs to the unit's equipment and supervise vehicle servicing. 5 CAD were without this attachment for a number of years, due to a shortage of RAEME vehicle mechanics. During this time the maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment was carried out by local civil contractors. Some repairs, which are beyond the capacity of the Vehicle Mechanic, are being carried out by contractors when it is uneconomical to have them repaired in Central Command Workshop.

11 National Service Training Battalion RAEME Platoon UI

256. The 11 National Service Training Battalion was raised at Woodside in May 1951 and a RAEME Platoon was included in the establishment. There were two ARA RAEME instructors attached to this Platoon. Towards the end of each intake, tradesmen from the Platoon were employed with Central Command Workshop RAEME for one week's Corps Training. Members of National Service were required to serve with the CMF for a period of not less than two years after they had completed their training at Woodside. In July 1959 National Service was discontinued.

8 Army Engineer Regiment Light Aid Detachment UI

257. In September 1955 it was proposed to raise 8 Army Engineer Regimental Light Aid Detachment at Broken Hill. The new training depot was under construction at the time. 8 Army Engineer Regiment indicated that they would transfer sixteen electrical and mechanical tradesmen from the Regiment to the Light Aid Detachment. Approval was given for an increment of one Officer Commanding (Lieutenant )to be added to the establishment. Second Lieutenant R.W. Birrill, an engineer with the Zinc Corporation Broken Hill was appointed on 27 June 1957. The unit was raised about September 1957.

258 In 1959 the unit which travelled by road convoy from Broken Hill attended the annual Citizen Military Force camp at Cultana. Lieutenant E.J. Tremethick administered command to the unit, which comprised approximately twenty other ranks, during the camp. In 1960 the Light Aid Detachment was disbanded.

9 Medium Workshop RAEME UI

259. Approval was given to raise 9 Medium Workshop at Kilkenny Training Depot in August 1956. Major L.C. Campbell MBE was appointed Officer Command the Workshop, with Captain A.N. Manders as Administrative Officer. The Australian Regular Army Cadre Staff consisted of the following personnel:

Quartermaster Lieutenant R.J. Oakes
Adjutant Lieutenant A.J. Hogan
Company Sergeant Major Warrant Officer Class 2 L. Steele
Instructor Warrant Officer Class 2 C. Roberts
Storeman Sergeant S. Maude
Storeman Lance Corporal B. Jones

260. About thirty National Service trainees and several senior non-commissioned officers were transferred from 107 Infantry Workshop in November 1956 to 9 Medium Workshop RAEME.

261. The Workshop attended its first camp at El Alamein in 1957 and during the camp 9 Medium Workshop, with approximately 180 other ranks, carried out repair and recovery tasks while 107 Infantry Workshop was engaged in field training.

262. The disbandment of the unit began in August 1957 and was completed by 28 October 1957. Some of the technical equipment was transferred to 107 Infantry Workshop and the remainder returned to 4 Base Ordnance Depot. The National Service personnel were transferred to the National Service Inactive List and the Citizen Military Force officer and other ranks were posted to 107 Infantry Workshop. Lieutenant Oakes was posted to Central Command Workshop and Warrant Officer Roberts and Sergeant Maude were transferred to 107 Infantry Workshop RAEME.

2 Field Ambulance UI

263. In May 1960, 2 Field Ambulance was posted to Woodside. The existing workshop at Woodside was used for unit repairs on vehicles and equipment by the three RAEME vehicle mechanics who were attached to the Unit. Sergeant Pettit was the senior RAEME mechanic with the Unit. He was posted to 4 RAR when that unit replaced 2 Field Ambulance at Woodside.

2 Line of Communication Provost Company

264. The 2 Line of Communication Provost Company was formed at Keswick in September 1960. The establishment included four RAEME tradesmen who were; one Corporal and two Craftsmen vehicle mechanics and one Craftsman electrical fitter. None of these vacancies have been filled since the unit was formed.

4 Battalion Royal Australian Regiment UI

265. 4 RAR was raised in South Australia in January 1964 and commenced training at Woodside. The unit has on its establishment eight attached tradesmen, which includes five vehicle mechanics and three fitters and turners. Sergeant George Pettit (vehicle mechanic) was transferred to 4 RAR from 2 Field Ambulance and Sergeant Dave Moon (fitter and turner) was posted from Central Command Workshop RAEME to 4 Battalion.

[End of Part5]

^Other parts^

^ Other Resources ^